It’s Super Bowl Sunday…
Posted by TopOfTheThread on February 3, 2013
… and we need to have a quick chat about College Hoops. I am a New Yorker and love hoops! This post is oriented towards the Knicks and Nets.
After yesterday’s college basketball game between University Of Michigan and Indiana University, I had to look at the 2013 mock NBA daft. (Thank you NBADraft.net). It was a great game showcasing great college, soon to be pro, talent.
- Trey Burke. Great Talent. Plays taller than his 6’0″ size because of his step back jumper.Will he be the next Kyree Irving? Or Austin Rivers? (Note: I am not giving up on the 6’4″ Rivers. He’s so young with tremendous potential upside, but IMHO, he was overrated coming out of Duke.)
- Cody Zeller. Great Talent. Great height and I assume he will fill-out since he is only a sophomore. Awesome athleticism for a 7-footer. Nice touch on his shot. Yesterday’s game was a Zeller Showcase! Forecasted to go to the Cavs? That would be interesting to see him lay with Kyree Irving.
The charts below have Zeller going 3rd and Burke going 21st? Unless Burke “falls off of a cliff”, there is no way he will be available at 21. And is he a fit for the Brooklyn Nets? Drafting on the “best available player” theory, yeah, take him. But the Nets backcourt is strong. (Full disclosure: I rushed to see a mock draft wondering if there was any way Zeller could end up with the Nets. Deron Williams + Joe Johnson + Brooke Lopez (healthy) + Cody Zeller? I know it’s a pipe dream and probably impossible, but that would put them up there with the elite teams in the league.)
- Glen Robinson III. Talented. Just a freshman and probably still growing. Good size. Good body. Good blood-lines. He disappeared against Indiana, but again, he’s just a freshman. We’re getting into the pressure-filled part of the season. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.
- Tim Hardaway Jr. to the NY Knicks? Athletic. Good size for a #2. Does he have the NBA jumper? Great blood-lines. He’s definitely worth taking a chance at the 25th pick.
Note to the NY Knicks: If there is a way to trade up to get Trey Burke, do it! Young athletic point guard. Have him come in and work alongside Raymond Felton and be under the tutelage of Jason Kidd? What would be better than that? A No Brainer.
- Victor Oladipo. I do not know what to say about him. He’s a beast! A great athlete. Offense. Defense. While he may not fit a prototypical NBA role, but he will carve out playing time and will be a major factor in games. He may be the sleeper of the 2013 NBA draft. (More on Victor below!)
Before clicking on the image below, take a second to look at the image. The video goes by quickly and you may not appreciate what actually happened. This ‘miss’ of a dunk, on a bad pass, may be better than any NBA or college dunks this year!