Posts Tagged ‘save money’
Posted by TopOfTheThread on February 4, 2009
Realistic Ways to Save Money in there Tough times… continued…
- Get haircuts, get your hair done less often – Judy had commented on “haircuts”… I had spoken to my barber regarding the effects the economy has had on his business. He had said people are waiting longer between haircuts (It is consistent with Judy’s comment.) I had also gone from a haircut every 5 weeks to 8-9 weeks (to the point of people making comments).
- Wash your hair every other day. (If you do not have greasy hair that should not be gross.)
- Unplug “things”. Unplus the power cord when not charging something. Sometimes they are still using a little electricity.
- When your bottle of shampoo gets half empty, add a little water. This will make it last longer. Shampoo is mostly water anyway.
- Do the same thing for hair gel. When your bottle of hair gel gets half empty, add a little water.
- Run your dishwasher, washing machine, and dryer late at night when utilities are less expensive. (Is this true?)
- If you are getting rid of a older car, see if it may be worth more to you to donate it to charity. At times they may give you a better net when you calculate it against your taxes.
- Instead of going out, invite friends to your home. Having drinks at home is dramatically less expensive than out at a bar or restaurant.
- If you are going out, invite friends over for drinks before hand (instead of having drinks while waiting for a table.) That will save significant money. — Remember don’t drink and drive!
… more to come…
Posted in finance, saving money, shopping, Uncategorized | Tagged: need job, out of work, save money, saving money, tough times | 1 Comment »
Posted by TopOfTheThread on December 27, 2008
As the economy is getting tougher wiith potential unemployment on the horizon, here are some of the items our family has done (or will be doing)…
- Cancel gym membership. I stopped my LA Fitness membership and started running and doing push ups.
- Add water to hair gel… a reasonable amount to make it last longer – it is mostly water anyway
- Add water to shampoo, hair conditioner … same here.. a reasonable amount to make it last longer – it is mostly water anyway
- If there is coffee in your office, drink that… even if you love Starbucks… You would be surprised how quickly it ads up. If you have 2 cups of coffee a day at $2 each.. that’s $4 per day… with an average of 20 work days per month… that’s $80 per month on coffee.
- Clean out your drawers, house, apartment… find old jewelry, metals, etc… and sell them… I have sent mine to QuickCashKit.com and they seemed to have sent me a fair dollar amount. (They are not a middleman. They are the refinery.)
- I sold my other junk on eBay. It was just taking up space in the house anyway. I aggressively priced it. I want the cash. I don’t are that someone else got an extra $5 for the same clock radio!
- I purchased a new (to me) leather jacket at Good Will (Jericho Turnpike, Elwood, Long Island, NY). They have nice, broken in, soft leather, used jackets. I stumbled across this place last year when I had to find a costume for a dance. They had lots of nice things!
- Bring your lunch to the office. (You would be surprised how much money you spend on lunch, coffee, etc..)
- Stopped eating in between meals. (Again, it is a good habit to NOT eat between meals. Now is the time to do it.)
- Around here, it seems like Chinese Restaurants (small storefronts) seem to have lots of great lunch meals. An acquaintance (who is single) actually buys 2 lunches and brings one home for dinner. Actually, sometimes the lunch itself is large enough for dinner and lunch.
- Good bye Netflix. Good bye BlockBuster. We now go to the public library and borrow movies for FREE. We also do not feel pressured to watching a movie that we had paid for…
- Lowered the thermostat from 68 to 62 degrees. It’s a little chillier but put on a sweaterhirt! I am guessing, I will save $20 per month.
- Always visit coupon sites. Some of the best sites are Coupons.com, CouponCabin.com, RetailMeNot, .online-coupon-promotion-discount-code.com,and others. Also google. for codes. A sample search may be for a coupon code for Wii Fit. (Search for coupon code on Wii Fit)
- Cancel the water delivery service. Each of those bottles costs $15 and the stand costs $5 per month. We will save $20 per month purchasing the water from the grocery store.
- For breakfast we like to have a bagel with cheese. Around here (NY) a bagel costs approximately $0.75. An entire loaf of bread costs $1.49. Save money by purchasing a loaf of bread and putting cheese on bread instead of a begel…. it will also save you calories! And Carbs!
- Save on automobile insurance. As your car gets older you MAY need less insurance. Contact your insurance professional to guide you. Your insurance broker may be able to guide you properly and safely. Present your concerns to your broker before lessening your coverage.
Posted in finance, saving money, shopping, Uncategorized | Tagged: blockbuster, coupons, google, insurance, LA Fitness, netflix, retailmenot, save money, unemployment | 2 Comments »
Posted by TopOfTheThread on November 9, 2007
Just a quickie. This seems like a great site to save you money… more to spend on beers, ping pong, and parties… Please let me know. College kids save money. Click
Posted in beer, college life | Tagged: beer, College, kids, parties, ping, pong, save money, students | Leave a Comment »